[Samba] Samba + LDAP - PDC (i.e. workgroup)

peter pan lanwanhr at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 13:29:03 GMT 2003

> > There's lots of howtos and mailling list posts
> about
> > creating a PDC with samba and LDAP.  What I want
> to do
> > is to continue with workgroup operation (at least
> > until all our clients are NT).
>
> A "domain" is really only of relevance to machines
> that have joined the
> domain. For machines that aren't domain members, it
> looks like a
> workgroup with passwords sync'ed between servers
> that are domain members.

So even though I'm achieving the password sync with an
LDAP directory, and all clients are workgroup mode - a
domain would still be suitable and could be properly
utilised as a domain in the future...

> >  All I essentially want
> > to do is to move the smbpasswd file on our 30 or
> so
> > servers to LDAP (after sorting out nss and PAM).
> Can
> > I do this?
>
> Yes. But best by turning some of your servers into
> "domain controllers",
> but this largely has no effect on clients (unless
> you join them to the
> domain).

Does utilising up a PDC and BDC's cause network
traffic?  e.g. when a user logs on to their local
server (which I assume would be a member server) does
the member server need to check with the PDC for
authentication?  (Or would all remote offices need a
BDC)?

> > Also we have a replicated LDAP directory provided
> by
> > our openldap servers - one master updating 29
> slaves.
> > The slaves (running samba) our not allowed to
> update
> > the master server.  Is this is a problem for
> > samba/LDAP operation?
>
> Not necessarily.

I asked this because I thought samba in some modes
needed to update the LDAP directory upon user login
(last login attributes etc).

> > Obviously account and password
> > changes need to be done on the master server but
> this
> > is desirable for us.  I think the PDC + LDAP
> solution
> > means that the LDAP directory is written to by
> samba
> > upon each user login
>
> I don't think this is true, why would this be
> necessary?

See above.  I plan to use a custom cgi script to
perform samba user additions and password changes.
Presumably if this was implemented samba wouldn't ever
need to write to the directory - and would only need
an LDAP acl to view the appropriate password
attributes.

> > - this wouldn't be desirable for
> > us as 30 servers on slow WAN links would be
> updated
> > every user login.  The local smbpasswd file
> doesn't
> > seem to be updated at the moment when someone logs
> in
> > - so I'm assuming a workgroup + LDAP solution
> wouldn't
> > be a problem for us in this regard.
>
> Neither would an LDAP+domain.

IF there's no extra traffic generated as a result of
PDC's/BDC's/member servers over standalone workgroup
servers (for lack of a better term) using LDAP then we
would be able to do this.

> > Also - is there any way to use a custom schema or
> > perform schema mapping?
> >

> Could you be more specific?

We already have an LDAP directory which uses custom
schema (i.e. no posixaccount etc).  I'd like the
option to make samba uses different attributes and
objects (I'm assuming this would be a source code
change - and I think I've found the two files).

> > I'm using samba 2.2.8a on the 29 slave servers - I
> > prefer not to update to samba 3 if it's not
> required.
>
> It may be better to migrate to samba3. With
> samba-2.2.8a you need to
> install a different binary for LDAP support, whereas
> samba3 can be
> configured at run-time. Plus, when you do evetually
> join machines to the
> domain, you will have domain groups available.
>
> Migrating from samba-2.2.x+ldap to samba3+ldap is
> probably more
> challenging than migrating from samba-2.2.x to
> samba3+ldap, and
> migrating from samba-2.2.x to samba-2.2.x+ldap is
> probably about the
> same, so overall you win by going straight to samba3
> (if you do your
> homework).
>
> You can see what it would take to go from
> samba-2.2.x to
> samba-2.2.x+ldap at http://mandrakesecure.net

Fair enough.  I've built the samba 3 binary with
--ldapsam (Which I think means use the old schema).
Some initial testing seems OK in this area (with the
workgroup model).

One quick question - I've deja'd (I still call it
that) for a solution to  specifiy more than one LDAP
server for fault tolerance.  There were some patches
for older samba's - not sure if this has now been
resolved?

Cheers for the help Buchan

Pete.