[Samba] Samba 2.2 -> 3.0.0 upgrade: questions + Internet Connection Wizard / Identities

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Nov 7 19:07:21 GMT 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Jeff Jones wrote:

> > Yes. You should have saved the Domain SID before migration, then restored
> > it on Samba-3 using the net utility. That way your clients would have been
> > quite happy.
>

> Ah, ok.  Is there a document explaining how to save and restore the SID?  I
> saved the contents of /etc/samba before performing the upgrade.  Can I still
> extract the SID and restore it into my Samba 3?  I still have some client
> boxes I haven't joined to the new domain.

The SID is stored in the secrets.tdb file. If your server name is the same
as it was on the 2.2.x configuration, then you can shutdown your samba,
save all /etc/samba files and the tdb files in the cache area, replace
secrets.tdb and smb.conf, start samba and then use the "net" utility to
get the SID. I know this is messy, but it saves the need to go back to the
old version. Of course, you will then need to stop samba and restore the
new files. Then you can change the SID using the "net" utility.

> Is there any other way, at this point, to allow my domain users write access
> to their identities / accounts without them being administrators?  A way of
> moving forward with my new SID?

You can use the "profiles" tool to replace the old SID in the profiles
with the new domain SID.

> Why isn't Windows allowing the users access to their internet settings /
> identities, even though they're in the new domain and the users' profiles
> have been reloaded from the server?  Is there any way to fix it?

Sorry. You'd need to provide more information on this. Best to debug what
is happening. I do not have time to help with that right now.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org