[Samba] Problems with migrating profiles

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Nov 7 15:36:26 GMT 2003

Rob,

Please read the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf chapters on Policies and
Profile Management.

Windows NT/2Kx/XP stores the domain and/or machine SID in the profile.

There are two ways to solve the problem you have:

1) Change the SID of your Samba-3 installation to match that of the old
server. You need to extract that Domain SID using the smbpasswd tool (if
your old system was running Samba-2.x, or is running NT4/2Kx). You can
update the SID of your Samba-3 installation using the "net" utility.

_OR_

2) Change the SIDs stored in the profiles. The tool to use is called
"profiles".

Cheers,
John T.

--