[Samba] clarify issues on joining Samba PDC, machines, RIDs,

jonlists jonlists at cbsol.com
Fri Nov 7 00:09:04 GMT 2003

John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote on 11/06/2003 05:57:31 PM:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, jonlists wrote:
>
> > John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote on 11/06/2003 04:00:54 PM:
> >
> > > On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, jonlists wrote:
> > [snip other issued resolved - thank you very much]

> > using
> > longer
How
> > can I
> > on
> > can
> > >
> > > Add to your smb.conf [globals]
> > >    passdb backend = tdbsam smbpasswd
> > >
> > > Run:
> > >    pdbedit -i tdbsam -e smbpasswd
> > >
> > I get the error...
> > Unable to open/create TDB passwd
> > Can't sampwent!
>
> Try adding root with smbpasswd:
>
>    smbpasswd -a root

Created the passwd database,
pdb_getsampwnam: TDB passwd (/etc/samba/passdb.tdb) did not exist. File
successfully created.

However, same failure when attempting the migration process.

> If that fails you have real issues! :)

Oddly enough, doing a "net user list" asks for a password (even though I'm
already in as root), and then does nothing. Doing a pdbedit -L gives:
Unable to open/create TDB passwd

At least this isn't in production (yet). <G>

-