[Samba] winbind and getent ...

C.Lee Taylor leet at leenx.co.za
Tue Nov 4 14:02:59 GMT 2003

Greetings ...

    Okay, I was going to send this to Tech, but throught better of it.

    I have got my ADS/Win2K3 system and Samba3 using winbind.  I am able
to do getent passwd, which returns users out of ADS.

    My problem is that I wish to have a Samba box at a remote location,
which I currently have, using user accounts stored in LDAP, but have not
choice but to move to ADS based users because of a Citrix application
which we are not able to get to work with Samba and LDAP based accounts.

    If I enable domain logons, getent passwd returns only local
accounts, not ADS based account, plus, I have also seen that if I set
winbind trusted domains only = yes, then getent passwd also stops working.

    Now I am sure, I read somewhere, that you can't use winbind and
domain logons, but I am hoping somebody might be able to give us better
idea.

Thanks
Mailed
Lee