[Samba] Samba + LDAP - PDC (i.e. workgroup)

peter pan lanwanhr at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 08:58:21 GMT 2003

There's lots of howtos and mailling list posts about
creating a PDC with samba and LDAP.  What I want to do
is to continue with workgroup operation (at least
until all our clients are NT).  All I essentially want
to do is to move the smbpasswd file on our 30 or so
servers to LDAP (after sorting out nss and PAM).  Can
I do this?

Also we have a replicated LDAP directory provided by
our openldap servers - one master updating 29 slaves.
The slaves (running samba) our not allowed to update
the master server.  Is this is a problem for
samba/LDAP operation?  Obviously account and password
changes need to be done on the master server but this
is desirable for us.  I think the PDC + LDAP solution
means that the LDAP directory is written to by samba
upon each user login - this wouldn't be desirable for
us as 30 servers on slow WAN links would be updated
every user login.  The local smbpasswd file doesn't
seem to be updated at the moment when someone logs in
- so I'm assuming a workgroup + LDAP solution wouldn't
be a problem for us in this regard.

Also - is there any way to use a custom schema or
perform schema mapping?

I'm using samba 2.2.8a on the 29 slave servers - I
prefer not to update to samba 3 if it's not required.

Any help appreciated.

Pete.