[Samba] Oplocks -- Simultaneously writing to same file

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 13:49:00 GMT 2003

On my small network, I allow users on 6 Windows machines to read and write
the same Linux Share. Can anyone tell me whether the smb.conf file listed below
will get me into trouble with users opening -- and possibly writing -- the
SAME FILE simultaneously?

I have read the documentation on oplocks and I'm not sure I understand it
sufficiently. I need a simple plain English explanation of how to use it (and
whether I need to use it). What are the different settings and what effect do
they have?

Most of my files are primarily being read (they are video files for a
networked video editing system). However, there is a database file -- more or less,
and index of all the videofiles that is frequently changing -- that all Windows
clients must be able to read and overwrite.

Until this week, I was using Windows 2000 Server to provide access to all my
video files -- as well as the database file. Over the course of a year, I
never had any problems or conflicts with two machines trying to write the same
database file at the same time.

I want to be sure I continue without problems now that I have switched to
Linux as my server. Is the default behavior of Samba on Linux the same as Windows
2000 with regards to simultaneously opening and possibly writing one file?

Your advice would be appreciated.

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = RESWORLD