[Samba] Samba-Citrix compatability

Hansjoerg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Tue Nov 4 07:01:34 GMT 2003

Hi

thank you for this great explanation.
We have similar problems with Citrix and a netapp NAS device
and I am wondering, if this may have the same reason....

This is  not related  to samba...
But your explanation of the original problem  may be a good input...
Thank you very much.

greetings

Hansjörg

>Windows uses one TCP/IP connection to connect to a single server.
>Windows NT Terminal server had a registry switch to make it spit it up
>as one-per-user, as there ware problem with only 1000 open files (or
>something like that).  MS fixed their bug, so removed the setting.
>
>The problem is that unlike NT, Samba is not multithreaded - it deals
>with the operations from the client in a strictly serial fashion.
>This is usually fine for a single PC, and becosue multiple client PCs
>all use their own seperate TCP/IP connection, Samba scales really
>well.
>
>However, when all the work is on one TCP/IP connection, all the
>changes between user (seteuid calls) and even worse blocking due to
>simple disk IO is serialised.  Ie, other unreated operations cannot
>complete.  (I think that the fcntl() issues might also make this even
>worse, but jra would know better).
>
>By forcing Windows to make multiple TCP/IP connections to the Samba
>server, we get back to the situation we had with multiple windows
>client PCs.
>
>Much of the work on Samba4 is to create a compleatly asyncronous
>design, which can cope with this stuff very well, but until then, we
>need the workarounds...
>
>Andrew Bartlett

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/

There are 10 types of people in this world,