[Samba] Newbie question

Urchin waif at ntropolis.com
Tue May 27 02:14:03 GMT 2003

Using SAMBA 2.2.8a on RedHat 9.0, built from source, not binary.  smb/unix
sync is active.  PAM authentication is active.

As root, I can use smbpasswd to change a user's samba password, but the user
cannot change it him or herself.  When the attempt is made, the system
rejects the password change with a RAP86 error.

I've looked for this error on the web, but there are only two responses
which detail this action - one implying that as of 2.2.7a a user cannot
change his own password (which seems peculiar, but does hold some water),
and the other mentioning a password length limitation (which does not hold
water in this case).

It is my hope I can find an answer here.  Essentially, I want to use a
single utility to change both the linux and samba passwords for a user.  I
seem to recall this working in earlier releases.

Thanks,

Urchin