[Samba] Folder redirection on samba

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri May 30 05:37:41 GMT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, ganapathy murali krishnan wrote:

> Documentation Comment:
>
>     In case of NT4 policies, the document describes how to create them,
> and where to place them (netlogon share) and how it will be used.
> Is it possible to use Group Policies, with SAMBA 3.0? Can one just
> create the .adm templates described and drop them some where (SYSVOL
> share?) so that they automatically come into effect. Since SAMBA 3.0
> cannot function as an AD Server (if I understand things correctly),
> it cannot be used for Group Policy Objects.

So you create a profile for the group, make it a mandatory, in the user's
profile (just as you would for NT4) set the path to the group profile for
the user using pdbedit or using the NT4 User Manager for Domains.

.adm files are templates for the Group Policy Editor alone. We will have
an 'editreg' tool and a 'profiles' - the editreg tool will do what the NT4
Group Policy Editor does, it will create NTConfig.POL files.

SYSVOL is a specific Active Directory facility. We need to emulate an
Active Directory Controller to ba able to implement the capability to
affect Machine Policy Objects and Group Policy Objects. Samba-3 does NOT
do that.

> Is this right? If so, a note to that effect in the documentation
> would be useful.

Send me the update and I will put it in if it makes sense.

Thanks for your feedback.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra