[Samba] THE [PRINT$] SHARE

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue May 27 17:48:57 GMT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2003, John H Terpstra wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 May 2003, Kevin Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Is this an exclusively NT/XP/2K share or will it work with windows 9x as
> > > well?
> >
> > Normally Win 9x/Me uses the printer$ share.
> >
> > You will find Win 9x/Me driver downloads a little on the flakey side due
> > to the high variability of the age and style of the drivers available.
> > Drivers written for Win 98 SE and later generally work fine with the
> > printer$ share.
>
> No.  SOrry John.  This is incorrect.  The [print$] is simply a file share
> for storing drivers.  The windows clients (all versions) query the print
> server for the driver location.  So the [print$] share is used for Win9x
> & NT and later clients.  Just like a Windows NT print server.

Ok. You have me doubting on the printer$ issue now. It is easy to resolve
though, if you have an MS Windows 9x system that has file and print
sharing enabled, in a DOS box just type:

net view \\machine

It will list either print$ or printer$ as one of the shares.

> And if you are saying that the win9x support is flakey due to drivers,

It is the early Windows 9x drivers that are flakey - NOT samba support for
Windows 9x / Me drivers.

> then i might agree with you.  But if you are saying that Samba support for
> 9x driver download is flakey I would have to disagree.
>
> Just clarifying things.

Good catch.

- John T.

--