[Samba] Account Lockout (Repost)

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue May 27 01:42:37 GMT 2003

I am just an amateur, but, I like writing bash scripts. Maybe you do, too.

Have you thought about writing a script to do this?

I forget all the ins and outs of logging on, but there is  a log entry
generated when a login fails. You might have a script check this log
and take the appropriate action.

You  can set up individual log files for each user, like this:
log file = /var/log/samba/%U
Individual user log files are very attractive in a lot of ways.

If you start smbd with smbd -d3 you get a fairly small amount of verbiage
(experiment!). You then could have a login script which runs and looks at
this file and decides if the guy has had too many bad logins.  Then,
appropriate action could be taken by the script, like putting that name into
an invalid users file or something.

Just an idea, and I haven't tried any of this out.

Of course, there may be a perfectly easy to use parameter in smb.conf to
use but I couldn't find it.

Joel