[Samba] Samba PDC + LDAP

Gordon Pritchard gordonp at sfu.ca
Tue May 20 15:50:13 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 20:58, Sathi wrote:

> Thanks but i got same error when trying to add a machine name without "$"
>
>  ./smbldap-useradd.pl -w test
> Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0xab, with no
> preceding start byte) at smbldap_tools.pm line 518.
> Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0xbb, with no
> preceding start byte) at smbldap_tools.pm line 518.
> ldapadd: update failed: uid=test$,ou=Computers,dc=xxx,dc=com
> ldap_add: Object class violation (65)
>         additional info: no structural object class provided
> ./smbldap-useradd.pl: error while adding posix account to machine test$

	Sorry for the slow reply, Sathi.  This past weekend was an extended
(Canadian) holiday, and I was out of town.

	Now that I see your error, that reminds me:  I did also experience the
same problem!!  There is a character in the Idealx script which is not
UTF-8 clean.  I remember mentioning this to them many months ago, but I
guess they haven't updated anything.

	The nice thing is that the error message tells you where the problem
lies.  I recall opening the offending file (smbldap_tools.pm - my copy
is in /usr/local/sbin).  I used emacs, then scrolled down to around line
518.  I don't think the error was *exactly* on Line 518, but you will
see something that looks 'funny' - your editor won't properly display
the offending character.

	In fact, I just downloaded the Idealx stuff so I could check.  Emacs
tells me the problem actually lies on line 520:  if you look at the
comment, you'll see they used a double-angle-bracket for $filename.  I
see that my "fixed" version uses a single angle-bracket at each side.
But hey - it's only a user-comment, right... ;-(

	HTH,
	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers