[Samba] Samba 2.2 or 3.0?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat May 17 07:50:25 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 04:06, josh+samba at mookiemookie.net wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Here is the situation.  We are currently upgrading our infrastructure to
> use LDAP as our authentication mechanism and I intend to also have
> Samba look at LDAP.  I had this working in a test case using 2.2 as a
> PDC awhile ago.
>
> Should I be using 3.0 or 2.2 for this implementation?  I realize that 3.0
> is still quite alpha-quailty, but I've also read one or two interview
> with the developers stating that 3.0 is actually more stable than 2.2
> at this point and that they recommend using it.
>
> My main concern is that the LDAP schema will change again before the
> final 3.0 release - this is also what is making me wary of using 2.2,
> since the schemas are pretty different should we want to upgrade to 3.x
> in the future.
>
> Any advice is much appreciated.

Samba 3.0 has just entered feature freeze, and has changed LDAP schema.
The old schema is still supported as a configuration option.

The LDAP support in Samba 3.0 is much better.  In particular, it will no
longer change attribute values from x to x.  (ie, only changes from x to
y will be sent to the server).  This has an impact on multivalued
attributes, which in 2.2 we would rationalize.

If using Samba 3.0, use current CVS of today, rather than the alpha just
taken, as a bug in our group handling caused some nasty behavior.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net