[Samba] Samba PDC and Win2K BDC

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri May 16 19:14:49 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 14:45, Russell Anam wrote:
> This is bad new. There is no alternative to this?
>
> The main reason for wanting to install a Win2K server is
> we want to use System Management Server to maintain and
> update all the workstations in our organization (mostly
> windows). I don't think there is any linux alternative to
> SMS in Linux.

	If you are simply talking about automatically installing updates. You
could do something with writing scripts that will install the patches
when users login to their systems. (Of course, this would mean at least
temporarily providing those users with Administrative rights.)

	All of which could be done with carefully written scripts. It wouldn't
be simple to implement, but it would work and it would save your company
the costs of licensing a Windows Server system and CALs.

	Regards,
	Rob