[cups.general] Re: [Samba] windows printer queue failure

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed May 14 16:24:59 GMT 2003

Christoph Litauer <litauer at uni-koblenz.de> wrote on CUPS digest:

> Message: 6
> From: Christoph Litauer <litauer at uni-koblenz.de>
> Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:45:49 +0200
> To: cups at easysw.com
> Subject: [cups.general] Re: [Samba] windows printer queue failure
>
> Christoph Litauer wrote:
>
>>> I am driving Suse 8.2, samba 2.2.7a, cups 1.1.18
>>>
>>> As I mentioned recently I cannot see the cups printer queues from a
>>> windows client even if lpq -Pprinter on the cups server gives the
>>> correct status.
>>> I tested a litte more and got the following results:
>>>
>>> 1.) If I configure samba to
>>>     printing = CUPS
>>>     printcap name = CUPS
>>>     I can see all queue entries in the windows status panel, too --
>>> except for those jobs, that were sent by users with account names >= 8
>>> characters. Is this a bug?
>>>
>>> 2.) If I configure samba to
>>>     printing = sysv
>>>     printcap name = CUPS
>>>     lpq command = lpstat -o %p
>>>   I can see the jobs only as they appear on the samba-/cups-server. They
>>> disappear from the status panel immediatly when the spooling is
>>> finished. Should it work? Anybody else has this problem?

I repied to that part already on the Samba list, with a few suggestions
for things to try and test...

> Another amazing thing is that I can use
> 	print command = my own command with parameters
> even if I configured

I will try to verify this on my system...

> 	printing = CUPS
> 	printcap name = CUPS
>
> My smbd is linked against cups:
> printhost:~ # ldd `which smbd`
>          libacl.so.1 => /lib/libacl.so.1 (0x40026000)

When I verify your report, I will have *no* ACL support compiled in....

>          libcups.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcups.so.2 (0x4002d000)
> Here is what the documentation says:
> "With printing = cups, and if SAMBA is compiled against libcups, any
> manually set print command will be ignored."
>
> And yes I am shure "my own command" is executed

Must be a Samba bug then. The documentation is "right" since it expressed
what the programmers intention was at the time the man page was written... ;-)

> I am a little bit confused ... what's happening here?

Could you please report that on the Samba-technical mailing list,
with a CC: to <jerry at samba dot org>?

> -- Regards Christoph Litauer

Cheers,
Kurt