[Samba] Replacing WinNT 4 PDC with Samba PDC

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Wed May 7 21:08:19 GMT 2003

Dan/Kevin,

	Currently Samab is unable to replicate the SAM database from an
Windows Domain Controller, which is part of the reason all of the Samba
documentation only points to creating a new domain.

	I understand that there are things in the work to give Samba the
ability to replicate the SAM Database, but that is likely some time off.

	You can, however, build a Samba BDC for a Samba PDC. It isn't
terribly difficult to configure.

	Kevin,

	If you only have one server and no additional servers planned
for the time being. You needn't build an LDAP system. Over time as your
needs grow and you grow into having more then a few servers, you will
definitely want to utilize such a thing. That is just because
maintaining disparate passwd/group files will become rather difficult to
keep up with.

	Regards,
	Robert Adkins
	IT Manager/Buyer