[Samba] Performance Issues With Samba and RedHat 8.

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Tue May 6 14:36:19 GMT 2003

Ross:

Hi!

> Appologies if this has been asked before, i have searched the
> archives and
> while there are some almost related issues, none really answer my
> question/problem.
>
> Recently (about 4 months ago) we purchased a new Dell 2600
> (2.0Ghz Xeon 2GB Ram), Machine

Only thing I have to input here is:  Does your server have the "Broadcom"
NIC(s) in it?  I've seen horror stories about this card on the Dell
PowerEdge on Linux mailing list.  If you do, I would recommend that you
check out this link: http://lists.us.dell.com and search for "tg3" and or
"broadcom" to see the troubles reported there.  Most of the problems with
the Broadcoms actually end up leading to complete server lockups though.  I
just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Dell has since moved to the Intel brand for integrated NICs in the 2600 -
I've got one on the way right now...where is UPS anyway?  :-)

BTW, that mailing list is a VERY good source for anyone running Linux on
Dell PowerEdge servers.  There are several Dell people moderating the list
and there is always a good "flurry" of information from knowledgeable people
being passed around.

Hope I helped a little,

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager