[Samba] Transparent migration of users to a samba PDC, how about cygwin tool ?

Laurent Hubert laurent.hubert at chus.qc.ca
Mon Mar 31 19:12:33 GMT 2003

Hi,

I would like to migrate from NT PDC to a Samba PDC.

My main concern is that all my users have local profile (i.e. there is
no roaming profiles). It seems that users profiles on a workstation are
not valide when migrating  to  the Samba PDC. It seams that the users
cannot keep the same identity.  On the other hand, I would really like
to change PDC without users noticing anything.

Tools like pwdump.exe or pwdum2.exe to build smbpasswd, extracting the
domaine SID and  putting it in /etc/samba/MACHINE.SID help to this goal.
But, it does not seems to be enough ( at least in my setup !): windows
passwords migrate ok, workstations migrate apparently ok, but the former
profile of users are no more accessible and new ones are create. It
seems that it is because the users identity (SID) has changed, even if
the users ID in /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd are the ones
extract with pwdump.exe from the NT PDC.

1- Is this feature normal
2- Can I do better with actual Samba tools ?
3- If not, how about using information from cygwin tool mkpasswd and
mkgroup from wich I can extract lines like

myusername::11190:10513:this_is_me,S-1-5-21-90123874-2034640729-581009308-1190:/home/myusername:/bin/sh

and

Domain Users:S-1-5-21-90123874-2034640729-581009308-513:10513:

These contains the SID of the users and group.  Is there a way to
exploit this informations in Samba? Can it help for a completly
transparent migration of NT PDC to Samba PDC ?

Laurent

--
Laurent Hubert,
Assistant de recherche