[Samba] Samba + LDAP + FreeBSD + a HOWTO

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Mon Mar 31 06:04:48 GMT 2003

Hi all!  I am having some trouble with the above equation.  Firstly:

Samba	== samba-2.2.8
LDAP 	== openldap21-2.1.12
	   pam_ldap-1.6.1
FreeBSD == FreeBSD 5.0
HOWTO 	== http://samba.idealx.org

I have been following the HOWTO at samba.idealx.org, and so far I've found
it extremely informative for someone who wants to get LDAP up and running
with Samba, and who has never used LDAP before.

On page 13 (lucky for some) of this HOWTO, I ran into problems.  It began
talking about using the smbldap-tool kit which I had installed on my
system.  The following command ran correctly:

	smbldap-useradd.pl -m testuser1

This command failed:

	smbldap-passwd.pl testuser1

Returning:

Can't return outside a subroutine at /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl line
165, <STDIN> line 2.

Is this an issue with the toolkit, with FreeBSD, or with something else?  I
do not know Perl well enough to begin troubleshooting this problem either,
unfortunately.  Is there anyone who has had experience with this setup that
can assist me in working out what is going wrong?

Thankyou :)

--
Adam Smith
Information Technology Officer