[Samba] trouble configuring and compiling

Daniel Watrous dwatrous at maintainfit.com
Thu Mar 27 05:10:28 GMT 2003

RedHat 8.0, samba-latest.tar.gz (samba-2.2.8),

I am trying to configure and compile the latest samba from source code.  I have used samba in the past, but always RPM installs on redhat.  The first problem is near the end of the configure process:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking for poptGetContext in -lpopt... yes
checking whether to use included popt... no
checking configure summary... WARNING: No automated network interface determination
ERROR: no seteuid method available
configure: error: summary failure. Aborting config

The configure file contains various errors about not finding files:

configure:2033: gcc -c -O  -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE  conftest.c 1>&5
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:126,
                 from /usr/include/dirent.h:209,
                 from /usr/include/sys/dir.h:24,
                 from configure:2027:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 2025 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/dir.h>
int main() {
DIR *dirp = 0;
; return 0; }

The error may be more a result of my environment, and not a samba issue.  Any suggestions and links will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Daniel Watrous
dwatrous at maintainfit.com
801-484-6747