[Samba] Unable to join Win2k to Samba Domain

Jean-Eric Cuendet jec at rptec.ch
Wed Mar 26 10:03:51 GMT 2003

Hi,
We have a network of about 20-30 win2k machines in a Samba 2.2.7 (RH7.3)
domain. All are joined OK.
 From yesterday (no idea what changed...), I'm unable to join new
machines in the domain...
The message from win2k is "The specified user doesn't exist".
I join using the root user which is valid (able to connect to shares
with this user). If I type a wrong password, I have a messsage "Wrong
user or password", so I think that the error message "The specified user
doesn't exist" is not related to the root user used to join but to the
machine name. But the machine name exists (I used WKS21) , was added to
the smbpasswd file (with smbpasswd -a -m WKS21). su - WKS21$ works as
expected.
I don't understand what could happen....
And in the mean time, all the other workstation works like a charm! They
are all in the domain and works well!

Any idea?
Thanks.
-jec