[Samba] Oplock Problem

Alok Bhatt alok.b at momentum-tech.com
Tue Mar 25 06:11:04 GMT 2003

Hi All,
I am using Samba Version 2.2.3a on Red Hat Linux 2.4.18 and am having
trouble in the settings. Quite a lot of clients have been saying that their
PCs hang, whenever they access our server which acts as file and print
server. The logs show messages of oplock break A portion of log file is :

[2003/03/25 09:44:58, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(758)  oplock_break:
receive_smb error (Success)
  oplock_break failed for file CLSS_CentrServe/ProjectPlans

The configuration for oplocks in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file is as follows:
    kernel oplocks = Yes
        oplock break wait time = 0
        veto oplock files =
        fake oplocks = No
        oplocks = Yes
        level2 oplocks = No
        oplock contention limit = 2

We are thinking of shifting to latest version of samba, but will that help
or will we have to make further changes. Please help if anyone has gone
through the problem.

Thanks in advance
Alok Bhatt