[Samba] Shares and user access?

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sat Mar 22 01:19:37 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 06:54, Admir wrote:
> I am running samba server on a debian. I am also totally new to Linux.
>
> My problem is: I have a user home folders on a server but I don't have
> the access to those maps and I need to access them from time to time.
> Like now I have a virus in those shares and when I try to scan the maps
> I get the msg. from ant virus software "Unable to repair/ no access to
> the file.
unless you've made changes to the defaults homes setup the user who
created the file owns it.

> What shell I do? Pls. help me out?
I recommend you have a look at SWAT (its a web based smb.conf tool
that's part of samba)
You're going to have to learn unix permissions if you don't already know
them (see the howtos at linuxdoc.org)

> I heard that I can change user access rights in the smb.conf file. I was
> wondering would,t be easier just to create a account on samba server
> that has all the access via network? If it is pls. let me know how to do
> this cos I am really new to Linux and samba.
the root account will have all access unless you've explicitly disabled
it.

brad
--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>