[Samba] samba not seen from wins server

Crowley, Glen L GLCROWLEY at arkbluecross.com
Wed Mar 19 19:47:38 GMT 2003

I have Samba 2.2.8 running on Debian Woody for S390.  I am trying to connect
via the wins server list that is on a win 2000 wins server, but I don't see
my linux server in the list.  I can ping and search and find the server by
name.  I looked in the log.nmdb for messages, but the file is not being
created.  Following is my smb.conf file

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 172.16.55.21 (172.16.55.21)
# Date: 2003/03/19 13:33:45

# Global parameters
[global]
	security = user
	workgroup = ABCBSNET
	server string = LINUX3
	log level = 5
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	printcap name = cups
	wins server = 172.16.6.11
	printing = cups

[public]
	path = /home/public
	valid users = +usergroup
	read only = No
	create mask = 0660
	directory mask = 0770

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = root
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = printer drivers
	path = /etc/samba/drivers
	write list = root

[infmgmt_cj4600c]
	path = /tmp
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes

[micclj01]
	path = /tmp
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes

Question 1 is does anyone know why I am not seeing my server from the WINS
world?

Question 2 is does anyone know why I am not getting the nmdb log file (smdb
is logging ok)?

Samba 2.2.7 was having the same problem, so I upgraded to 2.2.8 to see if it
would do better.

Thanks
Glen Crowley
Lead Systems Programmer