[Samba] Re: File and Directory permissions

Marco De Vitis starless at supereva.it
Wed Mar 19 01:16:50 GMT 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:18:56 +1100, Benjamin Stewart -NEW wrote:

> morning I was asked to restrict access to a particular directory in a
> particular share to a group of users. How do I do this ? Am I better to
> create a new share and share that folder out from there setting
> permissions etc.
>
> When the files were stored on win2000 server I was able to go to the
> security tab and add/select/change users from there. Is there a way to
> do this from the linux box where ths files are stored ?

Well, yes, on Linux you could create a new group, add the needed users
to the group, then set this group as the owner for the directory and all
its contents (chown -R user.group directory), and finally set the right
permissions on dir and contents (chmod -R 770 directory).

Of course, some smb.conf options for the share could conflict with
these, e.g. "admin users", "force user"...
A separate share would be a "cleaner" solution.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.

..."Crac!", Area 1975