[Samba] Problems with ACLs in 2.2.8

Jan Houstek houstek at karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Mar 18 12:59:00 GMT 2003

Last weekend I upgraded from 2.2.7a to 2.2.8 because of the security
problems. Unfortunately 2.2.8 is not only security upgrade but also
contains some improvements one of which is backport of ACL code from 3.x

Since the upgrade I have problems with rights. In a directory with empty
ACL for the creator group and the same default ACL files created by samba
have rwx set while files created in shell have (expected) empty ACL for
the group).

I can describe it in detail if anyone is interested.

I have to solve this at once because in this state new files have very
dangerous permitions. I thought about one of these possibilities:

1) to find a Samba-ACL documentation (I believe it does not exist) and
make correct the behavior

2) to use 2.2.7a and aply only the security patch, without other changes.
Does it exist anywhere?

3) to use 2.2.8 but with old ACL code. Is it sufficient to use some files
from 2.2.7a or is it necessary to do something else?

-- Honza Houstek