[Samba] Samba & Wins Server

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Mar 17 15:59:38 GMT 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Suggitt, Maria [DAN/PICK] wrote:

> All
>
> We have offshore (North Sea) a DEC Alpha running OSF3.2 and samba 1.9.17p2.
> Samba was installed to allow the PC's on the company network access to the
> reports that the DEC generates and stores in a specified directory. These
> are accessed by mapping network drives from the PC.
>
> smbd and nmbd are kicked off from inetd
>
> The smb.conf file is
>
> [global]
>    guest account = mis
>    valid users = mis
>    workgroup = euabz
>    wins server = 161.102.144.9
>    log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
>    server string = Samba Server for D1ETAP
>    max log size = 50
>    security=share
>    preserve case = yes
>    default case = no
>    mangle case = yes
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>    wins support = no
>    domain master = no
>    local master = no
>    preferred master = no
>    os level = 0
> [GAS]
>    comment = D1 Etap Gas Share
>    guest ok = yes
>    force group = users
>    force user = mis
>    hide dot files = yes
>    follow symlinks = no
>    wide links = no
>    path = /usr/ETAP_EX/RUN/AUDIT/GAS
>    read only = yes
>
> I have been informed that the WINS server is to change as is the workgroup /
> domain. I have been asked to modify the DEC Alpha accordingly.
>
> The old WINS server was Win NT. The new one will be Win2k
>
> My question - is it just a case of changing the wins server and workgroup
> settings and restarting inetd (kill -HUP inetd processid) or do I have to
> reboot the DEC, or do I have to upgrade Samba versions.

You need to change the "wins server =" to give it the new WINS server
address. You need to change the "workgroup =" line to set the new domain
name.

Then restart samba. There is NO need to reboot the DEC OSF server itself.

> Also what would be required at the new WINS Server end ?

None. Suggest you update Samba to a more recent version is you have Win2K
or WinXP clients.

> Thanks
>
> Maria Suggitt
>
> Software Technical Coordinator