[Samba] Windows XP SMBecho request every 30-33 secs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Mar 15 12:35:53 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 09:39, chris parker wrote:
> The server is low on memory (384 MB).  Normally the deadtime parameter in
> smb.conf will allow the smbd  daemon for that connection to
> die. This echo request keeps the smbd alive.  Each active connection
> requires between 400K and 3 MB depending on the level of activity.
> Can't add more memory in the MB, larger swap doesn't solve the problem
> either. We will go to another MB with 2 GB of RAM, but not for a while.

Well, it sounds like WinXP is trying to avoid the nasty consequences of
a dead connection - or it might have something todo with the 'offline
file cache'.  Either way, I think that ignoring the smbecho as
'activity' would probably be a bad idea.

In this case it's a bit of a pity that the cost of processing that echo
is so high, but I can't really see a good way around it.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net