[Samba] Samba BDC and secrets.tdb question

richard rcoates at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 15 10:35:29 GMT 2003

Do you want/expect the bdc to be a logon server for w2k/xp ? If you do
then you can't use security=domain, logon server=yes, as in my
experience, Xp-pro will not reliably domain/logon to its pdc if another
samba server is configured as a "logon-server" as well. I'd love to be
proven wrong here.
security=user uses local auth files. You have to "rsync" FROM the
"master" to "bdc" ..occasionally.. for a consistent smbpasswd, passwd,
and group across the domain. Or replicated ldap...
smbpasswd -S ..should update sid ...see "man smbpasswd"
hope this helps,
Richard Coates.