[Samba] Samba and LDAP error

Dan Hobbs djhobbs at ndasj.com
Sat Mar 15 08:12:22 GMT 2003

I am a newbe to Samba.  I am having a problem getting Samba to bind to my LDAP server.  While I have found some related articles in the archives, I have not yet seen an answer which would help me.  Any help will be appreciated.

I am running Samba 2.2.7b and Openldap 2.1.12.  The platform is a Sun machine running Solaris 2.6.  The compiler is gcc.

When I use smbpasswd to add a user to the database I always get the error that Samba cannot bind to the LDAP database.

My bind dn is defined in slapd.conf as cn=Manager, dc=myorg,dc=com.
The bind password is secret

In ldap.conf I use the same bind dn and password, but the rootbinddn is uid=root,dc=myorg,dc=com.

In smb.conf I have tried both the Manager DN and the root DN.  In both cases I store the password in /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb.  The password is also strored in /etc/ldap.secret in clear text.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you .

Dan Hobbs