[Samba] smbclient XP printing issues NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Trevor Whitworth TrevorW at mcpies.com
Fri Mar 14 16:39:36 GMT 2003

I am running the latest SCO unix and samba.  I have multiple windows xp
machines with shared printers that don't seem to be working.  I have win
9x clients that have no problem.  I even had some NT 4.0 boxes that
worked fine, but not xp.

Here is the error I'm getting:

# smbclient -L chrisb

added interface ip=100.1.1.7 bcast=100.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0

Password:

Anonymous login successful

Domain=[MCPSI] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment

        ---------      ----      -------

Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment

        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master

        ---------            -------

If I run the same command with a -U <mywindowsusername>

And put in my windows password I get the following:

added interface ip=100.1.1.7 bcast=100.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0

Password:

Domain=[MCPSI] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment

        ---------      ----      -------

        HP             Printer   HP LaserJet 2100 Series PCL 5e

        IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC

        print$         Disk      Printer Drivers

        ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin

        C$             Disk      Default share

        Server               Comment

        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master

Even though I the shares are listed, I still can't print.  For print
testing I've been using:

# banner smbclient test print | lp -dchrisb

I am very new to Unix and just digging around to try and solve a
headache that's been around for awhile.  We have a Unix consultant
digging round also, but he has some other fires to put at that are of a
bit higher priority.  I apologize in advance for any thing that may come
across as ignorant.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.