[Samba] Windows 2000 Pro can't join the Samba PDC

ardi reddish41 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 04:17:42 GMT 2003

Hi all

At first i'm using wizard in swat page to create samba
as a pdc for my win 2000 pro client, and i follow the
instruction in howto-collection.pdf. The doc file say
that there are 2 ways of client join the domain.
1. "manually" add the trust machine account in the pdc
2. "on the fly" with adding command 'useradd' in the
global parameter 'add user scripts'

The first technique works fine, but i feel 'on the
fly' technique is more efficient because we dont have
to add machine account every time a client want to
join a domain. The value for add user scripts would be
like this according to the doc book :

/usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -M
%u

When i try this i notice that %u, which is the
variabel for user name account will just add the user
account that i fill in win 2000 dialog box into my
linux box and still the client can't join to domain.
So i change the script with the variabel %m which is
netbios name/machine name of the client, and i also
add  some command that used in 'manual' technique, the
script look like this :

/usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -M
%m && passwd -l %m && smbpasswd -a -m %m

but still the client can't join to domain, I look at
my linux box and i find that the smbpasswd command
can't take the value of machine name without "$"
string in the last character. I guess that will be the
smbpasswd bug or somethings else, i can't find the
reason why we must create the account machine with the
"$" string in the last character, I see that win 2000
client didn't send the value of their name with that
strings.

Is there any other way for a client (especially Win
2000 pro) to join automatically to samba pdc?
TIA

-ardi-