[Samba] Small/Medium Samba Install

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Tue Mar 11 21:23:51 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 15:43, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> Is this something feasible with Samba?
samba can do all of this with no trouble.

> The next question would be the user administration setup. I know in a
> perfect world, LDAP would probably be best. After some preliminary
> research, LDAP kind of makes my head spin... But Rome wasn't built in a
> day either...

ldap is the way to go if you want to support services other than samba
on this machine.  I use it because i use ldap as an NIS replacement and
a backend for a groupware suite.

If you just want to support samba then you probably don't need ldap  -
you could use webmin tools to make user administration less intimidating
to the command line phobic.

> I started googling some possibilities, but haven't come up with a whole
> lot to point me in a direction. Is anyone using something similar, that
> can point me in a few specific directions?
lots of people are doing this - just ask the specific questions you have
as you hit problems.

I recommend you start with just samba - then add ldap later if you need
it.

brad

--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>