[Samba] Advanced printers shares

Sean Woodlock appr23 at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Mar 8 14:53:05 GMT 2003

Hi

Here the problem.  I am using samba 2.0.10 on sparc Solaris 8 platform in a
Nis env.  Currently we have about 100 or so printers listed in printers.conf
nis map, these printers cover our 5 sites which all use the same nis env.
Each site has one Domain master, and a local master on any separate subnets,
as not all is in the same domain.

When ours users log into a samba server they are confronted with a 100
printers that just make it confusing for them.  The plan is to only make
local printers viewable to that specific site, But and this is a big but
still allow them to make explicit mapping statements to remote printers if
they really need to print to another office.

I no it would be quite easy to restrict users of one site to a specific
local server, which is fine, but I just need to make the other printers not
viewable but still operational.

All my effort have not seems to work, it seem that if the printers are not
viewable then samba doesn't no where they are.  I have opted not to use the
lpstat and the printer cap, and to setup to printers share called
[local_printers] and [global_printers] both have static queues..

As you properly have guessed I am quite new to samba, and this is one of my
first projects I have been allocated on my work placement year, and could
really do with some advice.

I have been really struggling with this.

Many thanks in advanced for any help offered

See smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = Uk
        netbios name = Gingernutz
#       netbios aliases =
        server string = Sean TEST  Samba server %v on %h
        encrypt passwords = no
        password level = 4
         log level = 2
         os level = 99
         max log size = 8000
         preferred master = yes
         domain master = no
# allow partiptation in election for local master browser
         local master = yes
# register my name with WINS server
        wins server = 129.156.X.X
        guest account = samba
 short preserve case = yes
         preserve case = yes
         default case = lower= yes
         security = server
# map to guest = Bad User
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
          printer driver location = /opt/samba/drivers
         interfaces = X.X.X.X
#
        remote announce = 129.156.X.X/Uk
        comment = Sean Test  Samba server %v on %h
#       include = /opt/samba/lib/smbprint.conf
         load printers = No

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         valid users = %S
#       create mask = 0771
#       directory mask = 0777
         browseable = No
         guest ok = no
         writable = yes

[drivers]
        comment = various printer drivers
        path = /opt/samba/drivers
        guest ok = yes
        read only = yes
        browseable = yes

[local_printers]

     comment = All local Printers
      path = /var/spool/samba
      guest ok = Yes
      printable = Yes
      browseable = No
       include = /opt/samba/lib/smbprint_test.conf

[global_printers]
    comment = All Global Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = No
    browseable = No
    include = /opt/samba/lib/smbprint1.conf

smbprint1.conf

[pgmp01004]
        comment = p-egmp01-37.test.COM - Lexmark Optra S1855
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -P %p %s; /bin/rm %s
 printer driver = Lexmark Optra S1855
        lpq command = lpstat %p
        lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm %j

[pgmp01007]
        comment = p-egmp01-22.test.COM - Lexmark Optra S1650
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -P %p %s; /bin/rm %s
 printer driver = Lexmark Optra S1650
        lpq command = lpstat %p
        lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm %j

[pgmp01008]
        comment = p-egmp01-03.test.COM - Xerox DocuPrint N2125
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/ucb/lpr -P %p %s; /bin/rm %s
 printer driver = Xerox DocuPrint N2125
        lpq command = lpstat %p
        lprm command = /usr/ucb/lprm %j