[Samba] smbclient to access limited networks?

Hiro Sugawara hiro at arkusa.com
Thu Mar 6 19:51:15 GMT 2003

I am new to this ML and am sorry if this question has been answered
already.

I have a firewall router running Linux having two Ethernet ports (i.e.
access to two networks) for INTRANET and INTERNET. This firewall needs
to run smbclient to access a share on a Win2K host in the INTRANET.
Looking into the Linux kernel message log, I found  smbclient is
broadcasting NetBIOS name service queries to not only the INTRANET side
but also the INTERNET side.

I want to disable the queries to the INTERNET side because it could get
forged responses and lead to a security bleach. I checked the "hosts
allowed" field in smb.conf, but it seems to work only to limit accesses
to a Samba server--not to limit anything with smbclient.

I'll appreciate any suggestion.

TIA.
hiro
--