[Samba] Users keep getting Your password expires today

Chee Wai Yeung cheewai_yeung2003 at yahoo.com.hk
Sat Jun 21 12:57:45 GMT 2003

I have a samba 2.2.8a PDC with Openldap backend.
Recently XP Pro client users start to keep getting
"Your password expires today" message and even after
the passwords are changed the same message will just
pop up the next login time. All the LDAP user accounts
have [UX] as acctFlags value which I believe should
mean that the password never expires (yes, bad idea
...) but it does not seem to work. The problem seems
to also exist in Samba-3.0.0beta1.

For two XP clients which I checked they both have time
skew of a few seconds compared with the samba PDC (the
samba PDC's time is a few seconds ahead). While I
guess the problem may go away once I setup NTP for the
clients, I would like to know why the "X" flag in
acctFlags does not seem to work.

I searched the samba archives and I could not find a
real explanation on this one.

Can someone please help?
Thanks in advance!