[Samba] ok, so oplocks: good or bad?

Mark Ferlatte ferlatte at cryptio.net
Fri Jun 20 18:50:16 GMT 2003

Jonathan Johnson said on Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 11:39:09AM -0700:
> On 20 Jun 2003, Mark Roach wrote:
>
> > I have been searching for info on this and haven't found an
> > authoritative answer. From what I have read, oplocks are good because
> > they increase connection speeds, but they are bad because they don't
> > really work, but they actually do work, but they only work in some
> > cases, etc etc.
> >
> > so, here's my problem and my question together: I get tons of these
> > messages every day (over a thousand a day)
> >
> > [2003/06/20 08:19:42, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(1011)
> >   request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request to
> >   pid 22335 on port 35010 for dev = 2b00, inode = 688540, file_id = 256210
> > [2003/06/20 08:19:42, 0] smbd/open.c:open_mode_check(652) open_mode_check:
> >   exlusive oplock left by process 22335 after break ! For file UHG/Local
> >   Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/desktop.ini, dev = 2b00,
> >   inode = 688540. Deleting it to continue...
> >

> > is this an indication that I should disable oplocks, or is disabling
> > oplocks a foolish, unsafe thing to do, or is there just some other
> > problem I need to fix to allow me to keep using oplocks?

I always disable oplocks.  After experiencing some odd, unreproducable problems
with files getting corrupted, being out of sync, etc, I read a very through
post on this mailing list explaining why oplocks were and how they could break.
After blinking in disbelief that someone thought that this was good idea, I
turned them off, and all of the problems went away.

My user's haven't complained about performance degradation, but they always
complained about destroyed data.