[Samba] domain master name query fail

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Fri Jun 13 10:19:55 GMT 2003

> Jun 13 15:04:59 SERVER nmbd[2010]: [2003/06/13 15:04:59, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
> Jun 13 15:04:59 SERVER nmbd[2010]:
> find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
> Jun 13 15:04:59 SERVER nmbd[2010]:   Unable to find the Domain Master
> Browser name HOME<1b> for the workgroup HOME.
> Jun 13 15:04:59 SERVER nmbd[2010]:   Unable to sync browse
> lists in this
> workgroup.
>
> I am wondering how causes these messages? what is a
> domain_master_name? My network, including this box are set up
> to use workgroups only, not
> tied to any domain.

>          preferred master = no

I'd start by questioning about the above line...

WHICH machine did "won" the elections in your net? You do know about the
process by which the "network neighborhood" gets built don't you?

So is there another W2K/XP server which is supposed to keep the browse list?
>From your short message my wild guess is that the master browser did not
register the <1b> record to WINS because it:
1. Didn't knew that it has to (that is it's still broadcast only based, that
is you've never reconfigured it for wins!)
2. It didn't knew that it is time to do that. Windows machines do not
register names to WINS every second... BTW: I'd be a life grateful to
someone pointing me to a Microsoft tool or method to trigger wins
registration in a MS box; roughly the equivalent of "service smb restart"...

So check who is the master browser in your network and why it doesn't use
that particular WINS.