[Samba] tdbsam backend

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jun 12 23:10:29 GMT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Jim Wharton wrote:

> I just compiled some RPMS for Mandrake 9.0. I would like to try the TDB
> bAckend before I do the LDAP stuff. (It took me awhile to get that set
> up in 2.2)
>
> Everything installed ok but it seems that the  pbedit3 tool can't find a
> library. The error message I get is:
>
> [root at luna root]# pdbedit3
> idmap uid range missing or invalid

In smb.conf [globals] add:
	idmap uid = 10000-15000
	idmap gid = 10000-15000

	passdb backend = tdbsam, guest

That should get the gasses roaring.

> idmap will be unable to map foreign SIDs
> idmap gid range missing or invalid
> idmap will be unable to map foreign SIDs

Fixed above.

> Error loading module '/usr/lib/samba3/pdb/tdbsam_nua.so':
> /usr/lib/samba3/pdb/tdbsam_nua.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory
> No builtin nor plugin backend for tdbsam_nua found
> Error loading module '/usr/lib/samba3/pdb/tdbsam_nua.so':
> /usr/lib/samba3/pdb/tdbsam_nua.so: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory
> No builtin nor plugin backend for tdbsam_nua found
> Can't initialize passdb backend.

Yep! the NUA stuff got dropped, unless you run ldapsam. In the case of
ldapsam the meaning of NUA is a little warped! :) Better ask an IDMAP guru
what is warped! :)

> Sure enough, that library is not there... Should I have compiled with
> different options? I'm about to hit the docs but I thought I would ask
> here first.

Just try the above. IF it works let me know where to send the invoice -
price today is a smile. If not paid on time, the price goes up to two
smiles. :-))

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra