[Samba] Samba + CUPS = Two printers instead of one?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jun 12 12:11:50 GMT 2003

> Tue Jun 10 22:51:10 GMT 2003

> [2 floor IBM BW]
>    comment = IBM Infoprint 1222
>    path = /var/spool/lpd/samba/2ndflbw
>    printable = yes
>    browseable = yes
>    writable = no
>    public = yes
>    printer admin = root
>

> Everything all right added drivers, set default all works like a charm just
> it's just that... Why do I have two printers instead of one listed on the
> server?

Short answer: because you setup the smb.conf the way you did.

Long answer:

* the "load printers = yes" directive tells Samba to look for
   a printcap file and auto-create and use [printername] sections
   for each printername found in the printcap. These auto-created
   shares are not actually written to disk, but are visible
   in the Network neighbourhood and/or the server's "Printers and
   Faxes" folder. They use settings cloned from the [printers]
   section, (similar to how the [homes] section works...)

* the manually created share [2 floor IBM BW] duplicates your
   other effort. (BTW, don't forget to have the same "printername
   with spaces" {"2 floor IBM BW"} on the UNIX side, and don't
   forget to escape those spaces, should you want to use that
   printer in UNIX....

Cheers,
Kurt