[Samba] Problems with samba2.2.7a (RedHat9)-as PDC- and Windows 2k Prof. Workstation

Dipl.Ing. Gerfried Schmiedl gschmiedl at iwt.at
Thu Jun 12 00:41:33 GMT 2003

Hello out there!

I am hanging on this since hours - now i cant test any longer - so I give
this question to you...
Hope somebodys out there and helps me...

The situation:
The Redhat9 Server using Samba 2.2.7a (from the RPMS Contribution of the
CD) plays the Windows PDC (Domain Controller). The workstations are
Windows 2000 Professional.

All works fine - I created the machine accounts, the users, and so on.
I can also log into my Domain. I also can change the password if I am
logged into W2k and press CTRL-ALT-DEL and use the Password chage option.

You will now think - all fine...

But there is one problem - a big one - every time I log into the
workstation (onto the Domain) I will get a message that the password is
expired and that I have to set it - but there the password change brings
an error (that the Domain is not available). How can this be corrected??

Here is my smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = TEST1
	netbios name = server
	server string = server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	min passwd length = 0
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        admin users = @smbadm
        domain admin group = @smbadm
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g smbmachines -c sambaclient -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
        nt acl support = no
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
#	time server = Yes