[Samba] Problem with Samba %U

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 9 09:13:03 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 17:57, Radek Žuja wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with Samba and I absolutely don't know how to solve it.
>

> Samba version: 2.2.8a
> Linux version: Redhat 9.0
>
> Description of the problem:
>
> In Samba configuration I use:
>
>   include = /etc/samba/%U.conf
>
> and services as follow:
>
> [%U]
>     comment = Home directory (%U) (%u)
>     path =  /public/%U

This looks like a very bad idea.  Samba's handling of %U is sub-optimal,
as you have found.  I'm certain this kind of configuration is almost
never tested - what is wrong with the 'homes' service?

You can use %u in the path, if you want.

The reason %U doesn't work it that it tends to be a global, per
connection, and windows terminal server opens only one connection to the
server.  Even with newer versions of Samba which get %U working a little
better, the share list is global.

I expect this configuration to become less, rather than more supported
in future.  (The compromises required for some of these configurations
may prove too costly in future).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org