[Samba] samba newbie having trouble configuring samba on RH7.3...

marvc marvc at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 7 22:33:45 GMT 2003

Thanks again as the responses are really appreciated. Here's what I have
so far.
I managed to locate the smb.conf file but it was in the:
/usr/local/samba-2.2.8a/packaging/RedHat directory. Does this qualifies
as having a jacked up install? Can I modify this file and then move it
to where it needs to be? I located the samba project document and I'm
kinda confused on something. It states that the smb.conf isn't created
and that I need to create one. It then states that I need to put the
smb.conf file in the same place I specified with the make install
command. Does this mean I have to create a smb.file and place it in the
/usr/local/samba directory or do I move this smb.conf file, located in
/usr/local/samba-2.2.8a/packaging/RedHat, to the /usr/local/samba/lib
directory?
I also continue to get No such file or directory errors when I attempt
either of the following:
/etc/init.d/swat start

This gives me a Permission denied error:
/etc/xinetd.d/swat start
I get this error even while logged in as root.

Apologizes in advance but I'm at the stage where this becomes harder
than it really is so I may ramble on from time to time.

TIA