[Samba] Aix and Large File Support

Neil Lehouillier nlehouillier at seitelsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 5 17:56:20 GMT 2003

Hi everyone,

I need a little help.  I have compiled samba(2.2.8a) on aix 4.3.3 oslevel 9.  Everything seems to run fine until you try and transfer a file from a windows station to Samba that is > 1GB.  Then it starts spitting out errors like there is not enough space for the file even though there is 89 Gigs free.

I'm just wondering if there are any special switches to compile samba with to enable LFS(Large file Support) on aix.

I've looked in the config.log for "large file support" and found this:

configure:12853: checking statvfs function (SVR4)
configure:12866: gcc -o conftest -O   -D_LARGE_FILES  conftest.c  1>&5
configure:13150: checking if large file support can be enabled
configure:13165: gcc -c -O   -D_LARGE_FILES conftest.c 1>&5
configure:13232: checking whether to support ACLs
configure:13433: checking whether to check for support sendfile
configure:13925: checking whether to build winbind
configure:13985: checking whether to enable winbind auth challenge/response code
configure:14031: checking whether to enable winbind ldap hack
configure:14069: checking whether or not getgroups returns EGID too many times
configure:14093: gcc -o conftest -O   -D_LARGE_FILES  conftest.c  1>&5
configure:14134: checking whether struct passwd has pw_comment
configure:14147: gcc -c -O   -D_LARGE_FILES conftest.c 1>&5
configure: In function `main':
configure:14143: structure has no member named `pw_comment'
configure: failed program was:
#line 14140 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <pwd.h>
int main() {
struct passwd p; p.pw_comment;
; return 0; }

Even though I found it I can't tell if it got enabled or not.  Because of the problems I'm having I'm assuming that it didn't get enabled.  Does anyone know what files I need to enable this function on Aix?

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Neil