[Samba] Re: pdf printer

Matthew Western mwestern at affairs.net.au
Tue Jun 3 23:03:52 GMT 2003

lol.  sure thing....    mine emails to the user that created it as there
we're politics about everyone seeing everyone elses .pdfs on a fileshare or
webserver.  i put it on a webserver nobody knew was there so i could easily
forward the pdf on if it failed to attach to the email.

also, i'm thinking about replacing the text 'Microsoft Word - ' etc with
nothing as well.  you'll see what i mean when you test it.

oh yeah.  mine broke when i upgraded ghostscript hence the slamming of a few
TMPs in there.  that fixed it.  <sigh>  i wish ghostscript people would do
some nice error messages, not something like "*** Unable to open the initial
device, quitting."

regards
Matthew

-------------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script is intended to be used as a CUPS backend, to create
# PDF file on-the-fly. Just create a printer using the device uri
# pdf:/path/to/dir/. When printing to this printer, a PDF file
# will be generated in the directory specified. The file name will
# be either "<jobname>.pdf" or "unknown.pdf", depending whether the
# jobname is empty or not.
#
# To use it, simply copy this script to your backend directory, and
# create a printer with the correct URI. That's it.
#
# Copyright (C) Michael Goffioul (goffioul at imec.be) 2001
LOGFILE=/var/log/cups/pdf.log
PDFBIN=`which ps2pdf`
FILENAME=
# this is borrowed from printpdf script for the filename
PRINTTIME=`date +%b%d-%H%M%S`
#at the moment it's setup to email the pdf but not email the link to the
webserver.
DOMAIN="@yourdomain.com.au"
WEBSERVER="http://calypso/pdf/"
TEMP="/tmp"
TMP="/tmp"
TMPDIR="/tmp"
TEMPDIR="/tmp"

#mail stuff
DATE=`date +%d%b%Y-%H:%M:%S`
MAILFILE=/tmp/mailtemp
HEADER=/tmp/header

# case of no argument, prints available URIs
if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
	if [ ! -x "$PDFBIN" ]; then
		exit 0
	fi
	echo "direct pdf \"Unknown\" \"PDF Writing\""
	exit 0
fi

# case of wrong number of arguments
if [ $# -ne 5 -a $# -ne 6 ]; then
	echo "Usage: pdf job-id user title copies options [file]"
	exit 1
fi

# get PDF directory from device URI, and check write status
PDFDIR=${DEVICE_URI#pdf:}
if [ ! -d "$PDFDIR" -o ! -w "$PDFDIR" ]; then
	echo "ERROR: directory $PDFDIR not writable"
	exit 1
fi

echo "PDF directory: $PDFDIR" >> $LOGFILE

# Start of Matthew's modified stuff.

echo " " >> $LOGFILE
echo "Executable: $PDFBIN" >> $LOGFILE
echo "Arguments: |$1|$2|$3|$4|$5|$6|" >> $LOGFILE
echo $# $PRINTTIME >> $LOGFILE
echo "PS File: $6" >> $LOGFILE
echo "TEMP=$TEMP" >> $LOGFILE

FULLTITLE=`grep Title $6`
TITLE=${FULLTITLE:9}

#replace all not allowed characters with a _  - could do it with a regular
expression but too hard_
#      \ / : * ? " < > |

TITLE=${TITLE//:/_}
TITLE=${TITLE//\//_}
TITLE=${TITLE//</_}
TITLE=${TITLE//>/_}
TITLE=${TITLE//|/_}

echo "fulltitle: "$FULLTITLE >> $LOGFILE
echo "chopped: "$TITLE >> $LOGFILE

# generate output filename
OUTPUTFILENAME=
if [ "$3" = "" ]; then
	OUTPUTFILENAME="$PDFDIR/unknown.pdf"
else
	# OUTPUTFILENAME="$PDFDIR/${3//[^[:alnum:]]/_}.pdf"
	# I changed this to user name, and the printtime to track down who
	# printed the PDF and when, samba printing just uses nobody

	#	default is username and date.  Matt modified to read the postscript
title.
	# OUTPUTFILENAME="$PDFDIR/$2-$PRINTTIME.pdf"
	OUTPUTFILENAME="$PDFDIR/$TITLE.pdf"

	echo "PDF file: $OUTPUTFILENAME placed in: $PDFDIR" >> $LOGFILE
fi

echo "Output file name: $OUTPUTFILENAME" >> $LOGFILE

# run ghostscript
if [ $# -eq 6 ]; then
	$PDFBIN  -sPAPERSIZE=a4 $6 "$OUTPUTFILENAME"

# echo "	$PDFBIN -sPAPERSIZE=a4 $6 /tmp/3.pdf " >> $LOGFILE
# 	$PDFBIN $6 /home/mwestern/3.pdf >> $LOGFILE

 echo "Outputing PDF: $PDFBIN $6 $OUTPUTFILENAME" >> $LOGFILE

cp $6 /tmp/5.ps
ps2pdf /tmp/5.ps /tmp/6.pdf >> $LOGFILE

#	$PDFBIN  $6 "$OUTPUTFILENAME"
#>& /dev/null

else

 echo "unknown User output" >> $LOGFILE

	$PDFBIN -sPAPERSIZE=a4 - "$OUTPUTFILENAME" >& /dev/null
fi

# modify ownership and permissions on the file
#  - world readable
#  - owns to user specified in argument
chmod a+r "$OUTPUTFILENAME"
if [ "$2" != "" ]; then
	chown $2 "$OUTPUTFILENAME"
fi

#Sendmail to the owner.
echo "Sending mail: "$2$DOMAIN >> $LOGFILE

TO=$2$DOMAIN
SUBJECT='PDF Printer Job'
BODY='PDF Created :'$DATE
#echo PDF Created: $DATE >> BODY

echo From: PDFPrinter$DOMAIN >> $HEADER
echo To: $TO >> $HEADER
#echo Cc: $CC >> $HEADER
#echo Bcc: $BCC >> $HEADER
echo Subject: $SUBJECT >> $HEADER
echo "" >> $HEADER
echo $BODY >> $HEADER
echo "" >> $HEADER
echo "" >> $HEADER
echo "If your PDF job is not attached to this email please forward this
message \
to the help desk for assistance." >> $HEADER
echo Filename: $OUTPUTFILENAME >> $HEADER

cat $HEADER > $MAILFILE
#uuencode "$OUTPUTFILENAME" $2-$PRINTTIME.pdf >> $MAILFILE

uuencode "$OUTPUTFILENAME" "$TITLE.pdf" >> $MAILFILE
cat $MAILFILE | /usr/lib/sendmail -t

rm $MAILFILE
rm $HEADER

exit 0