[Samba] pdf printer

Norman Zhang nzhang at arkon-group.com
Tue Jun 3 06:25:50 GMT 2003

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply.

> yes definitly.  have you managed to get any other printers working with
> downloadable drivers?

Yes. I do have other shared printers working with 3rd party downloadable
drivers.

> you need to refer to the 'printing support in samba 3.0'
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/ and that explains

<snip>

I have done exaclty what you described before. Sorry I have cut your text
for readability. A full thread is available at gmane.network.samba.general.
Maybe it's late, I still haven't figure an answer for the questions below. I
read the manual again, retry and report back tomorrow. Would you please
couple extra pointers for the questions below?

> > But this only covers the "Install-PDF-Printer-on-CUPS" part.
> >
> > The other part is the "Install-PDF-Printer-on-Windows". Here you have
> > several options. My recommendation is the
> > "Use-the-CUPS-PostScript-Drivers-for-Windows-NT/2K/XP"
> > -and-export-with-the-help-of-cupsaddsmb" one.
>
> Sorry I'm still a little confused here. Can I do "cupsaddsmb -H
> PRNSERVER printer PDFPrinter" to setup PostScript driver (adist5.ppd)
> for Win9x/NT/2000, so users can download them from their personal
> workstations? If so, then I don't need to add arbitrary color laser
> printer from Windows?

I tried "cupsaddsmb -v PDFprinter", but system complaints that it cannot
find PDFprinter.ppd. I tried copy PDFprinter.ppd to almost every folder,
but still no luck. I'm doing this right? Where should I put
PDFprinter.ppd?

Regards,
Norman