[Samba] How do I go from 2.2.3 to 2.2.8a for LM8.2

Ken Walker ken.walker at textiles.umist.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 12:00:08 GMT 2003

I have got installed at the moment the default samba 2.2.3 that comes with
LM8.2 and want to upgrade to 2.2.8a, I have just downloaded the following
files

samba-doc-2.2.8a-2mdk.i586.rpm
samba-common-2.2.8a-2mdk.i586.rpm
samba-client-2.2.8a-2mdk.i586.rpm
samba-server-2.2.8a-2mdk.i586.rpm
samba-swat-2.2.8a-2mdk.i586.rpm

There all destined for the main file server, I understand I have to install
all of the above packages

When I try to install any of them I keep being told about 2.2.3 having
dependencies for 2.2.3. Do I have to uninstall the previous version first ?

Or do I do a force.

Also is there any particular order they have to be installed.

There's a first time for everybody, and this is mine :o)   [or should it be
:o( ]

I also tried urpmi samba-common-2.2.8a-2mdk.i585.rpm but get an error saying

error registering local packages

If I do a urpmi --update --auto-select samba

It says it has to update the following dependences, over 2 cli screens worth
and stating 311Mb, those listed include apache, cups, samba 2.2.7a, kde
packages, KDEGames,e2fsprogs,telnet-client,ssh and loads more, do I really
need to update all those ?

It all looks quite daunting when I'm not sure !

Many thanks

Ken