[Samba] latency accessing mapped samba drives from winxp

Matthew Berger linuxjock at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 14:55:51 GMT 2003

Hi all:

I recently upgraded form win98->winxp pro for my
desktop box, which accesses two samba filesystems for
various tasks.  When I upgraded to winxp, I noticed
that there is this persistent 'lag' when trying to
access either one of the mapped network drives, where
on win98, that was never a problem.  I'm using a
workgroup instead of a domain ( don't know how to
setup windows PDC ) and keep thinking this is an
authentication issue.  DNS is working fine, as the
linux box is the DNS server.  Here is my smb.conf
file:

# Global parameters
[global]
        client code page = 437
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = SERVER1
        server string = SAMBA SERVER
        interfaces = 192.168.111.4/24
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        allow trusted domains = No
        hosts equiv = /etc/hosts.equiv
        password server = pwd_server
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        admin log = Yes
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        debug uid = Yes
        deadtime = 6000
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 34
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        socket address = 192.168.111.4
        guest account = guest
        valid users = user1,user2
        hosts allow = 192.168.111.2 192.168.111.3 127.

[home]
        comment = Home directories
        path = /home/%u
        valid users = user1, user2
        read only = No
        max connections = 5

[share]
        comment = share drive for windoze storage
        path = /shareall
        valid users = user1,user2
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777