[Samba] Re: samba 3 on production server

Mike Samba samba at astroshapes.com
Tue Jul 29 15:40:56 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 10:11, Failed Access wrote:
> Beast wrote:

> >>500

> >>I tried, but had too issues joining domain (beta2), and with logging via
> >>lanmanager.
> >

> >>However from samba.org :
> >

> >>"While significantly closer to the final release, it should still be
> >>considered a non-production release provided for testing purposes only."
> >

> > I'm planning fresh migration from WNT 4.0 network to Samba3 (with
> > close to 1k clients). What I really want from samba3 was it able to
> > replace NT4 domain without needing to go to each client and re-join to
> > the domain again.
> > Is this possible with samba 2.2?
> > Also I note that support for ldap was verygood on samba3, any advice?
> > Tks.
> >

> > --beast
> >
>  From what I can see it's defenetly not possible with samba 2.2 however
> its ohhhhhh so close with 3.0 b3 (as my post said) domain users and
> groups have moved happily and almost effortlessly, however I have hit an
> empass with the machine$ accounts and until we can transfer those I
> would say a move from NT to Samba on large domains isn't a real
> possibility becouse going through several hundred machines to get the
> machine trust accounts is just a wee bit to much effort... (luckily our
> domain here is ittle)
>
> Matt D.

I almost have one finished.  I also had the problem of migrating the
machine accounts using net rpc vampire.  It turns out that samba was
attempting to add the machine to the /etc/passwd file as MACHINE$.  My
version of linux does not support capital letters in the username.  So
instead, I created a perl script called machineadd:

	#!/usr/bin/perl -w
	                                                                                	$machine = $ARGV[0];
	$machine = lc($machine);
	system("useradd $machine");

Then added the line into smb.conf:

	add machine script = /path/to/machineadd '%u'

This adds the account as machine$ (not MACHINE$) to /etc/passwd and then
uploads to the LDAP server just great!!  I'm sure this will also work on
other backends.

Mike